Pearson’s Financial Times Press division launched its new FT Press Science imprint to publish innovative new work in the sciences. These books provide information that life science professionals are looking for, but also have a business spin or other appeal to a broader base of readers.
It Takes a Genome discusses how our genes and our culture are out of sync. We’re not designed for the world we have ended up living in, and as a result, we suffer from ailments that our grandparents rarely encountered. The crowd of people on the cover alludes to the fact that we are all carrying the human genome out there into the world. And like the world, that genome is dynamic and evolving.
The Root of Thought reveals what glial cells are. People often say we use only 10% of our brain, because we think of neurons which compose that 10%. The other 90% is composed of glial cells – amazing cells that have the ability to grow, adapt, and heal. Scientists are discovering how these cells function and what it might mean for human intelligence, creativity, cures to illness, and more. To avoid looking academic or featuring overused scientific imagery, the cover has an abstract pattern informed by the star-like shapes of glial cells.
Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us About Who We Are discusses how each of us wields the power to improve the quality of our mental life and, by extension, our physical health and relationships. The book’s interior features vivid pictures of the brain and stories that demonstrate that inspiring potential. The paired brain scan and fingerprint images on the cover reinforce this relationship between our brains and our personal identity.